Tomorrow marks the second anniversary of the death of my dear friend Dr Lisa Macdonald. Lisa was an absolute beam of health and beauty and if you were lucky enough to know her or be a patient of hers, I know you will be smiling reading this and remembering her.
As a tribute to Lisa, I have written a list of things that I know Lisa believed were essential for good health and happiness. Lisa was definitely not a typical doctor and her potions, lotions and notions were not your typical remedies. But everything Lisa did was grounded in science, based on medical evidence and traditional wisdom........and of course, her own life experience.
These are in no order of priority;
- Love - Lisa knew that the fundamental life force that we all need to live and thrive is love. We know from studies that children fail to thrive without human interaction and love. Adults need it too. A warm hug, a friendly smile a loving gesture.
- Friends - especially girlfriends. Lisa loved hanging out with her girlfriends and always encouraged others to hang out with their friends and foster friendships that were uplifting and fulfilling. Be yourself and see who you belong with. Don’t be someone just to belong to a particular group.
- Good food! - no point eating something unless it is good for you and it tastes good! Fresh food and good quality food. Shopping at the markets for local, fresh and organic products was what she encouraged and to eat things that were specifically good for you and your constitution.
- Herbs - if you every visited Lisa’s house you would always leave with a basket of herbs that were not only yummy, they all had their purpose. Lisa taught me so much about herbs and how to add them into your daily life. Growing them and eating them is one of life’s simple pleasures.
- Outdoors - getting outdoors and enjoying nature. Cycling, bushwalking, beach and swimming. She believed that this was essential to good health for many reasons including getting sunshine, exercise and fresh air.
- Good quality water - filtered water so that you get rid of all the chemicals in it! We are made up of over 70% water so it makes sense to drink good quality water.
- Seaweed - Lisa saw many medicinal qualities in seaweed....and she was able to make it taste good! Cook with it in soups, salads, sushi. Lisa knew all the tricks about how to make stuff taste fantastic.......I even had one of her spirulina smoothies that tasted good! If you have had spirulina, you will know that it tastes yuk!
- Bathing - one of Lisa’s rituals was to have a bath in bath salts. Her absolute favourite bath salts were SOUL, from Embody. She realised the healing benefits of a bath.....a tradition that has been around for centuries.
- Holidays - just about every patient that saw Lisa came away with a prescription for a holiday. As a business owner, I used to laugh and think “yeah that would be great but.....”. Life is short. I now see that holidays are essential for good health and happiness. Plan one now!
In loving memory of a wonderful doctor, healer and friend.